Notes from meeting 25th April 2012 at Star and Garter 7:00pm.
- Reminder : Transition Falmouth website invites input. Two email lists available: TFdiscuss for participation by TF members full discussion and information and TFinfo to receive info only, contact Rob to register email@example.com 01326 374397
- Fal Energy Partnership finished its activities for LEAF fund at end of March and the core team is nearing completion of the report. More info to be found on www.falenergy.org.uk Next meeting mid May for public launch of membership of the FEP Social Enterprise.
- A visual report on ‘Surviving and Thriving’ (Jan to March) available.
- Weekend of 21st and 22nd April – there were activities at Trevone to support 10:10’s Remade Month – skill sharing and repairing, and Earth Day on Sunday. Press release produced – copy below.
- Sat May 5th is Climate Impacts Day for 350.org ‘Connect The Dots’ activities globally. In Falmouth we will have a stall on The Moor with information about local groups etc plus FEP Energy Packs. 10:00am to 3:00pm.
- Anyone interested in Fruit sharing and Community Orchards, a meeting being arranged – contact Lorely for more info.
- Fal Energy has a transport group and a meeting being arranged to focus on cycling issues – contact Lorely for more info. firstname.lastname@example.org 01326 317587
Press Release for activities in weekend of 21st and 22nd April
Several local groups interested in a low carbon future spent the weekend remembering two global initiatives ‘10:10’ and ‘Earth Day’. They donned gloves to clear brambles and plant trees in a local memorial woodland and learned how to make willow plant supports.
On Sat 21st Falmouth LETS had its monthly workparty, “LETS workparties consist of a group of us descending on a member’s house or garden and tackling a major outstanding task, followed by a shared meal” says Rob Follett. http://falmouthlets.org.uk.
“LETS is a way of exchanging goods & services with other people in the community without the need for money, sharing skills is a good way of saving money and making friends so we are keen to support April Remade month when 10:10ers around the world share the skills and build the confidence to fix their clothes, bikes, computers and anything else that we can keep alive with a few basic repairs.”
One of the biggest barriers to a truly low-carbon world is the energy used to make the things we buy and use every day, especially when we need to replace them every time something goes wrong.
By sharing the skills and resources to keep our stuff going for longer, we’re giving ourselves choices, saving money and laying the groundwork for a smarter approach to making and owning things.
10:10 was set up in 2010 : ‘an ambitious project to unite every sector of society behind one simple idea: cutting our carbon by 10% a year starting now’.
The website: http://www.1010global.org/uk
On Sunday 22nd members of Transition Falmouth and Fal Energy Partnership celebrated Earth Day by continuing the clearing and made several willow supports, enjoying the sunshine and company.
http://www.earthday.org: “…the annual Earth Day marks the anniversary of what many consider the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970. The Earth Day Network works with over 22,000 partners in 192 countries to broaden, diversify and mobilize the environmental movement. More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world”.
Coming soon is another chance to join in with the global efforts with local low carbon celebrations/activities – May 5th is ‘Connect The Dots’ Climate Impacts Day – contact email@example.com or 01326 317587 for more details.